Saturday 7 December 2013

5.26 Out of joy comes tragedy


Heather was getting her bags packed ready for when she had to go to the hospital in a few weeks when the phone rang, "Will, I'm fine. You don't have to call every 5 minutes."
"Ok I get the message but call me if you need anything."
"I will, I love you."
"Love you too."



As she continued to get things ready she felt a contraction but thought it was nothing but a Braxton hick’s contraction and carried on. When she felt a few more sharp pains, Heather immediately rang the doctor. He asked a series of questions and told Heather he was calling an ambulance to take her to hospital. Heather thought the doctor was overreacting but agreed.



When Heather arrived at the hospital the contractions had intensified and the doctor was now concerned about Heather and the babies. Dr Lane told the nurse to set up immediate a blood transfusion. Heather who was now in a panic asked, "What is going on?"
"Heather you are in full labour but the babies are in trouble and we need to deliver them quickly and safely. I will call your husband, now please stay calm." 



Outside the room the room Doctor Lane said, "Nurse phone Mr Granger immediately." Inside the room
Doctor Lane said, "I need to check if you are ready to deliver." Heather nodded and the doctor examined her. "You are ready."
"Doc, it's got to be too soon?" 



Doctor Lane shook his head and replied, "it really is time. Now you need to push, ok?" Heather nodded and started to push. The nurse now came back into the room and set up the drip with the blood that Heather needed to see her through the labour. The nurse inserted the needle into Heather's hand as she continued to push. When the doctor asked Heather to push again she refused until he told her what was going on. "I told you Heather the babies are in trouble."
"When I had Art I didn't need to be hooked up to a drip." The doctor sighed and firmly asked, "Do you remember us discussing this pregnancy? That I advised you when you came for a scan that it was in your best interest to abort this pregnancy."
“I remember but I told then that I couldn't get rid of my babies because they are with the man I love."
"Heather, don't you understand it's you that is in danger."
"And I told you there was no option. You are a doctor so fix this so I can go home with my babies." He looked at her and smiled. He wanted nothing more than Heather to go home with her husband and babies so for his patient’s sake he nodded in agreement.  Heather pushed again feeling the pain getting worse with each contraction. 



The doctor looked at the nurse and shouted, "Did you phone her husband?" The nurse nodded in response. When the nurse looked over she noticed Heather had stopped moving and screamed, "Doctor, she  isn't breathing." 



He looked over and shouted, "Phone theatre now and I want more drips down there ready." She stood there just looking at Heather and Doctor Lane screamed, "Move now." 



As she ran from the room Doctor Lane was yelling at Heather, "You can't leave your babies alone. Your right I'm going to do everything I can to get you home alive." Heather stirred and in a quiet voice asked, "I want to go home with my babies, please help me."
"Heather I am going to help you all I can but the labour is proving too much for you so I'm going to perform a caesarean section as that is the only safe option left for all of you."
Heather nodded and asked, "I want Will, is he here yet?"
"I promise as soon as he arrives he will be allowed in straight away." Suddenly the reality that she might not see her babies after they were born hit her hard. In the theatre they gave Heather an epidural in the hopes that they could save both her and the babies.



William rushed into the hospital and was met by the nurse, "Your wife is in theatre. They have asked you go straight there as they are delivering by caesarean section." He ran to theatre where he saw Heather strapped to a drip. 


He rushed to Heathers side. "Baby, why do you need a drip?"
"Will, I love you."
"I love you too but why are you scared?"
"I thought it would be ok but I thought wrong. I'm not going to make it after the babies are born, promise me you will look after them."
"Don't talk silly, you and the babies are coming home."



"This isn't a joke, Will. This is real." Will suddenly realised she was telling the truth and started to choke back the tears, "I can't do this alone I need you baby. We need you."
Heather stretched her hand out to quiet her husband and quietly said, "Remember I love, after all you won my heart twice and if we have a daughter please be fair and allow her to have a boyfriend. Tell them that their mother loved them with all her heart and I'm proud of them. Tell Art from me that I'm very proud of the person he is becoming. He has been a wonderful son and I couldn't have asked better and most of all tell him I love him." Will looked at her and with sadness in his voice, "Heather I need you. I love you please don't leave." Will heard the first cries of his child as he continued to look at his wife then he heard the second cry and smiled as he said to Heather, "You did it baby we have twins." 




Heather didn't respond and as Will kept staring the doctor sadly said, "William your wife is gone. I'm so sorry for you loss."
"Bring my wife back."


"I wish we could but we can't but you have 2 babies that need you right now."


A big Thankyou to Aussie Karima for doing some of these pictures

6 comments:

  1. Another bad dream? :( :( :( :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zhippidy,

      It's not a bad dream :(

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. ~ Now I know why Blair had that dream!
    ~ She must have known that she would die!
    ~ So sad with new twins, & no mother so Art & Will will have to pull together to get through this tragedy!
    ~ It should be a happy time with the birth of the twins,so,so,sad! (",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karima,

      Heather knew there was a chance she could die but ignored the advice given by the doctor. William is devastated and poor Art has just lost his mother. This is a sad day for all.

      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. Noooooo. *sniffles*
    Her words to Blair were really a bad omen. Poor Will. I can't imagine what he's going through. Art, I just want to hug him.

    ReplyDelete